Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Hit Me

I don't know if this sort of thing happens to anyone else. Occasionally when I'm driving I get the nervous fear that the car next to me is going to side-swipe me. It isn't a rational fear, and I know that. I'm not sure if it's years of games that encourage that sort of thing, or just a personal thing, but I occasionally think about it, and it's usually about a specific vehicle next to me.

So as I was leaving work I got this feeling about an older black car to my left. It would have been the perfect spot, there was a big SUV in front of me and a concrete wall on my right. I would have been trapped, ripe for smashing. I'm also always nervous to look over at them, like they're just waiting for us to make eye contact before they swerve.

Finally I decided to hazard a look. In the black car there was, I kid you not, two nuns, in full nun dress, big black habits and all. I just burst into laughter, it all seemed so absurd.



...and then they side-swiped me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally worry about this. Especially when the car is lined up with me perfectly, I feel like thats them getting into position to make sure they really hit me. I usually slow down or speed up, anything to get out of allignment with them.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a *very* rational fear.

Cat said...

I as well have said fear. I really hate it when someone lingers in my blind spot. call me paranoid, but i don't like it when people might be looking over my shoulder.