Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Like an Ark Built to Save Two of Every Style of Architecture From The Great Flood of Cookie Cutter Homes, and McMansions


Wooden Skyscraper - Arkhangelsk, Russia

I've had the pictures on my hardrive for over a year I think not knowing anything about them other than they're of an awesome building, and probably Russian. Today I randomly found this article.

"Nikolai Sutyagin, a former gangster, began building this ‘wooden skyscraper’ in Arkhangelsk, Russia with the intention of it being only a two-story building. But, a trip to see wooden houses in Japan and Norway convinced him that he hadn’t used roof space efficiently enough, so he kept building. “First I added three floors but then the house looked ungainly, like a mushroom,” he said. “So I added another and it still didn’t look right so I kept going. What you see today is a happy accident.” The multimillionaire became a pauper after his possessions were destroyed during a stint in prison, and the house is now decaying around him, but he still lives in the bottom floor with his wife."


No comments: